There are just shy of 300 books set in the Forgotten Realms and I’m going to be embarking on an epic adventure to read as many of them as I can. I planned this challenge quite a while ago and only got one book in before life got crazy and put a lot of things on a halt. I’m ready and excited to pick this project back up. Anyone who wishes to join me at any point and/or for any certain book(s) please feel free.
The project will start on October 2nd. The 1st year to see a forgotten realms book was 1987 and only one book was published that year.
Darkwalker on Moonshae by Douglas Niles will be starting us off. It is book 1 of the Moonshae trilogy and takes place in the realm year 1345 DR.
A cursed denizen of an ancient era again walks the islands of the Moonshaes, and the sacred realm of the Goddess Earthmother shudders under its vile onslaught.
A bold but reckless prince, a beautiful young druidess, and their companions both magical and mortal do their best to protect their cherished homeland.
If only their best was good enough.
For Anyone Planning On Joining:
If you plan to buy the book rather than borrow it I encourage you to check out your local bookstore. If you don’t know of any in your area you can search these sites to find your closest independent bookstore:
If you prefer to use the library you can search WorldCat to find the closest one to you that has a copy (or just search your local libraries database directly whichever you prefer.)
If you want or need to purchase the book online here are some places I would recommend to check out.
Oct 2nd – Oct 8th: Chapter 1-6
Oct 9th – Oct 15th: Chapter 7-13
Oct 16th – Oct 22nd: Chapter 14-19
Oct 23 – Oct 29th: Chapter 20 To End
Oct 30 – Nov 5th: Off week and schedule for 1988 block posted
Rules & Structure:
- All books were checked to be sure they can either be easily found and purchased for less than $20 USD OR available in at least 100 libraries based on WorldCat. (For most of them both criteria fit but I was only requiring one to have it be part of this project).
- Most of these are series, so I have a series-specific rule. If I get a quarter of the way thru a series and just am not enjoying it the series will be dropped from the project.
- Books will be read in publication order.
- For anyone who decided to join me for any of the books, I will be setting up a schedule and since I want this to be low pressure and fun it will be slower reader-friendly! There will also be an “off week” in-between books both to pace myself and also in case anyone (including me lol) who may have gotten behind on the chapter goals has some catchup time.
- Schedules will be posted in “year blocks” based on their original publication year.